June 16, 2014

Before I Do (Part 2) Marriage Takes Three

I promised to do a part 2 and 3 on the Before I Do post I did in the beginning of May. After going through the May 10 workshop and the others that followed, I decided to do more breakdowns. Sorry for the delay. Here is part 2:

So, I'd like to break it down to the three components in a marriage: God, Husband, and Wife. The Before and After I Do workshop provided a great illustration on this:


Obviously, as with everything, the marriage should be centered on God. He is to be your anchor, your basis for everything. As the husband and wife focus on their relationship with God and grow closer to Him, they grow closer to each other at the same time. 

Although it seems to be such a thing of common sense, I learned a lot from this. I learned that you're not supposed to go into a relationship expecting your partner to complete you. You both have to be complete in Christ, because two incomplete people can't make each other whole. People disappoint, people fail, people may not always be there, but ultimately, our God is, and forever will be perfect. Marriage is not a give and take with your spouse. It is always a give. You take from God. He alone could sustain you. Whatever overflows from that, you give to your spouse and loved ones. Amazing? I know, right?! So much enlightenment!

0 comments: