March 12, 2013

Simple Joy #8 Cooking

Did not go to work today and made buffalo wings instead. Totally worth it!

Went to the supermarket to buy chicken wings. You'd want thawed ones, not frozen. For this, I used 10 of them, cut into 2 to make 20. Clean them thoroughly, make sure you remove feathers and whatnots. Make your cuts, if desired. I got rid of the tips. (You may use them for broth/stock for other dishes.)


Marinate and refrigerate. I used Worcestershire sauce and some other stuff I'm not allowed to divulge for the fear of losing my inheritance, as if there is any to inherit. (This is strictly a family secret, my father says.)


While chilling, prepare your breading. You can do without this, as some prefer. You can see the ingredients in the pictures. Usually, recipes don't call for thyme, but I'm addicted to it, and I put it on everything. Anyway, I don't really have the habit of measuring stuff, so I kinda taste it as I go along. Use a separate clean, dry, spoon or finger to avoid contamination, and spit the flour out after tasting.


Mix in the chicken, adding a little water if required. Coat every piece and deep fry. I've watched somewhere that soybean oil is the healthy choice for this. You'd want to do the frying in batches so you don't crowd everything in. They tend to stick to each other so you'd need stainless tongs to give them a little toss. Try to drop them into the oil slowly and as low as you possibly can to avoid splashing and burning yourself.


Make sure you wait for the oil to heat back up before putting in the next batch to ensure crispness. When the wings float, they're done. Leave them a bit longer if you want a darker brown color.

Next, make the sauce. It's fairly simple. Use your choice of hot sauce, add garlic powder, heat them over the stove with some butter. When it starts to bubble, it's done. Toss in your wings and serve with your choice of dip.



I haven't quite learned how to do a proper blue cheese dip yet, so I'm using homemade aioli, which tastes as good. Also, I separated some of the wings (right plate) before tossing the others (left plate) into the sauce for those who are not big fans of spicy stuff.


Hashtag for the day: #dietfail

0 comments: