May 28, 2013

and Back (part 2)

...continued

We have now reached the top; it was time to settle down and have lunch. Ric had a ground cover big enough for all 11 of us to have lunch and take naps on. We shared our packed food and dozed off one by one for a good 30-45 minutes. After that, we started our descent. 

 
As I have been repeatedly proven wrong throughout this trip, I was yet again astonished upon realizing that going down was harder for me than going up. Here's my aftermath reasoning: By this time, half the gripping thingies on the soles of my shoes are gone, leaving me with no traction whatsoever. I was not only slipping off rocks and earth, I was even slipping on branches and fallen leaves. Marc had to block my foot using his so I had something to anchor to. Sand, soil, and pebbles kept finding their way inside my shoes, causing my feet to hurt more that they should. Also, I was deathly afraid of heights and every time I had to look down was pure torture.

From my learning experience in Sagada, the best way to descend a path with nothing to hold on to was by sitting on the ground and edging yourself slowly down from it. This was what I did, slipping and sliding on the way. Unfortunately, this took a really long while, and by the time we reached Papaya River (the small paradise I mentioned in part 1), I was way past exhausted. The group sans Gerich, Marc, and me, had fun cooling off by the mini falls doing poses, sharing jokes, and laughing at each other. They kept motioning for us to join them, but I was too drained to move. I had contented my self instead to pouring a liter on my head and arms to cool off.

A few more minutes after, I psyched myself up again convinced that the trail from that point on would be loads easier. I failed to factor in the fatigue and the soreness of every part of my body. Ric and Lexy had to alternate carrying my almost empty backpack in hopes of getting me to speed up a bit as we were slowly losing daylight. This time, the pace was slowly but surely moving with just a couple of rest stops to tide me over. After walking forever, we were back at the jump off point, at 7PM. I have made a 9-hour hike into a 12-hour one. 

Despite this, as I took my well deserved bath, I was really happy. It was a new accomplishment for me, a challenge conquered, and a new appreciation for nature, for life, and for friends. Marc, Ric, and Lexy had all the patience in the world to guide me through this. It was a really wonderful first time, and I owe it to them.

0 comments: