December 17, 2013

Serving Others

This month, I had been accidentally tasked the job of organizing our Christmas party. It started with everyone asking me whether we’ll have one this year or not. I decided to ask the boss who replied something to the effect of “We could, if you want.” I forgot the exact words. Anyway, I sent the compromising e-mail asking them if they want to have one. From there, everyone kinda assumed I’d step up and arrange it for them. 

Being a part of last year’s committee, I knew off bat that this won’t be an easy task. I just thought people would want to volunteer and help. Boy, how wrong I was. Everyone, with the exception of a select few just wanted to pay up and have the party without helping with the arrangements. This stressed me out a few times. I mean, you want a party, you’d better help arrange it. I do have a point, don’t I? Yet, this logic doesn’t seem to apply to them. 

Two weeks after that dooming e-mail, the frustration, irritation, and impatience are taking their toll. It’s like being pregnant, when the contractions are getting closer to each other. There were people who confirmed their participation, but backed out when it was time to pay. Then there were those who can’t decide if they’re going or not. What could be so hard? It’s a yes or no thing. Probably the worst ones are those who wanted to go to the event unwilling to contribute to the funds, telling me things like, “Hahabol lang kami” or “Sige, hindi na lang kami kakain”. I mean, come on, really?! What are we supposed to tell you when you get there? You can’t have any food or drinks because you did not pay your designated fee? Seriously?! 

Anyway, that and a series of petty issues came up, like we need a tent because the old one is too ugly to repair, like the lights used last year are missing so we need to make new ones, yada, yada, yada. You can then imagine steam coming out of my ears, but then somehow God reminded me that as a Christian, I am supposed to serve others. I was created to serve others for the same way I serve them, I am serving Him. 
Matthew 25:40 (NASB) The King will answer and say to them, “Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.” 
I kept thinking that this is so hard, not to mention unfair, but then again the world isn’t fair. It isn’t about being fair. It’s about loving. Each other. As God loved us. Sure, I could just drop everything and justify that it isn’t part of my job description, it isn’t my responsibility, but that isn’t loving, that is not serving in love. 
Galatians 5:13-14 (NASB) For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, “You shall love your neighbour as yourself.” 
John 13:34-35 (NASB) A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. 
After all, Jesus Christ came to serve. The Highest of High came, served, and gave His life as an ultimate sacrifice to save us all. Who am I to complain? 
Mark 10:44-45 (NASB) and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many. 
So I’ll suck it up and remind myself that aside from doing this for them, I am doing this for the Lord. Let there be joy in my heart while serving, and to God be the glory for all this, especially the enlightenment. 

In the spirit of Christmas, let us serve one another, and let this Christ-like attitude last even after the season.

0 comments: